Saturday, September 1, 2007

Kickoff

Since I'm a DirectTV customer, I'm one of the few people in the country with the Big Ten Network. I start the day with 7 games available to me (4 on the BTN) and most are not that interesting:

Michigan vs Cupcake
Ohio St. vs Cupcake
Penn St. vs Cupcake
Northwestern vs Cupcake
Michigan St. vs Cupcake
Virginia Tech vs Cupcake

(Hey nice job Michigan's Cupcake, Dexter Jackson just split the Michigan defenders and scored on a 68 yard TD pass.)

Luckily, I do get Colorado vs Colorado St. which is frequently an instant classic. The last 5 games have been decided by 7 points or less. I most remember a game a few years back where Jeremy Bloom had a huge day including 2 big 4th quarter TDs. You may remember Jeremy Bloom was a college WR who had to give up his college football eligibility in order to raise funds as an Olympic skier.

At the end of the first quarter of Colorado-CSU, neither QB has an incompletion. Good stuff.

On a basketball note, the creation of the Big Ten Network probably means I'll save some money this year and not order the ESPN Plus basketball package. Since I get the syndicated Big East and ACC games locally and all the missing Big Ten games on the Big Ten Network, I don't think I'll be coughing up $100 for mostly SEC and Big 12 games. That's a little sad, since I'm trying to keep my blog as national as possible, but I'm already wasting enough time watching sports as is.