Tuesday, January 13, 2009

You have got to be kidding me - 54 points

After watching Wake Forest beat UNC and UCLA/USC go down to the wire on Sunday, I furiously flipped through some numbers and tried to write a coherent column on Sunday night. But by the next morning I was once again questioning my sanity. This is January. Can the games really be this good? Why am I staying up until 2am to write about this stuff?

And then Jodie Meeks goes for 54 points against Tennessee. And none of the shots were forced. Meeks was playing to win, and with the lead down to 7 in the second half, his team needed all of his offensive dominance to put the game away. I've seen NBA players score 50 on TV, but they always take a few bad shots along the way. Meeks' shots were all smooth and all in rhythm. He set a Kentucky school record for points in a game. That's not just any school record, that's a Kentucky record. And it was on the road against arguably the best team in the conference. Or should I say, the second best team, behind Kentucky. If this is January basketball, I'm almost afraid of how good March is going to be.